Second terror attack in Spain at coastal resort of Cambrils Five terrorists shot dead by police after ramming civilians Attack comes after 13 people killed in van attack in Barcelona Manhunt under way for driver who targeted Las Ramblas Who are the victims? Three-year-old reported among dead Who are the suspects in the Spanish terror attacks? Everything we know about first attack on Spain in 13 years Live: Morning scenes of Las Ramblas van attack in Barcelona Five terrorists wearing fake suicide belts have been shot dead by police after ramming civilians with a car in a Spanish seaside town in a second attack to hit the country. Seven people, including a police officer, were injured in the vehicle attack in Cambrils - hours after a rampaging van driver left 13 people dead and more than 100 wounded around 70 miles away in Barcelona. Bystanders ran for their lives as gunfire broke out close to the coastal town's beachfront promenade early on Friday morning. Residents were ordered to take cover indoors as bullets tore through the air. Barcelona terror attack, in pictures In the wake of the carnage in Cambrils, several controlled blasts were carried out in the area. Police said the attackers had been wearing explosive belts, which experts later concluded were fake. Investigators said they are working on the theory that the attacks in Cambrils and Barcelona, as well as an explosion in the town of Alcanar on Wednesday, are linked. How the Barcelona terror attack unfolded 01:10 A major manhunt for the driver of the van that mowed down holidaymakers and locals on Las Ramblas - a popular tourist thoroughfare in Barcelona - is continuing. Two people have so far been arrested over the attack, including Driss Oukabir, a 28-year-old Moroccan who is believed to have rented the van used in Barcelona. Driss Oukabir who is believed to have rented the van used in the Barcelona attack On Friday morning, a third person was arrested in the Spanish city of Ripoll. It is unknown if this is the suspected van driver, who fled unarmed. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant has claimed responsibility for the attack, the deadliest on Spanish soil since more than 190 people died in the Madrid train bombs in 2004. Stay with us for the latest updates. Mapped: Barcelona van attack 8:45AM Terror cell of eight 'planning attack with gas canisters' Authorities investigating that attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils believe that a cell of eight people might have been involved and had been planning an attack with gas canisters, according to a judicial source. 8:44AM Man arrested in Ripoll could be driver of car that drove into police checkpoint, official says Joaquim Form, the Catalan interior secretary, told RAC1 radio that initial indications were that the man arrested in Ripoll could be the driver of the car that yesterday drove into a police checkpoint on Avenida Diagonal before abandoning the vehicle in Sant Just Desvern, reports Hannah Strange. The person killed in Sant Just Desvern was apparently the owner of the vehicle, who was found dead from knife wounds inside; it had previously been reported that the driver had died in a police operation. 8:25AM Suicide belts worn by Cambrils attackers were fake, police say The explosive belts worn by attackers killed by police in Cambrils were fake, the Spanish region's head Carles Puigdemont told local radio station RAC1. He said bomb experts had confirmed the explosive belts were duds. 8:04AM Cambrils terrorist taunted and smiled at police as they shot him, says British witness Fitzroy Davies, from Wolverhampton, was caught up in the second attack in Cambrils and described how police shot dead one of the attackers. He told the BBC he was in Spain for a judo camp and was in a meeting with the coaches when the incident unfolded. "These girls ran into the bar off the street and then people were running up the road. One of our guys stood up, looked and just said 'run', so we all ran. "This guy came running up the road and was shouting something. I didn't know what it was, so we said call the police." A policeman stands by the car used in a terrorist attack in Cambrils early on Friday Credit: LLUIS GENE/AFP "Within 30 seconds the police was already there, jumped out of the car, started shouting at the guy, the guy was then saying something else again. "And then they 'pop, pop', did a couple of shots and he fell down. "He stood back up and then he stepped over the fence and he started, he was taunting, smiling and he carried on walking to the police, and then they gave it to him again, a couple more shots and then he fell to the ground." 7:51AM Third arrest in connection with Barcelona attack A third person has been arrested in the Spanish city of Ripoll following the van attack in Barcelona, police and the Catalonia Interior Minister have said. It is unclear if this is the driver of the van that killed 13 people. 7:37AM Recap: How terror returned to streets of Europe If you are just joining our live coverage here's a recap: Terror returned to the streets of Europe on Thursday when a van ploughed into a crowd of people in Barcelona, killing at least 13 and injuring more than 100 others. Footage of the scene showed dozens of bodies sprawled across the pavement in Las Ramblas, a street popular with tourists. Two men, one Spanish and one Moroccan, were arrested but police said the driver of the van was still at large. In the early hours of Friday morning, in the town of Cambrils, 70 miles away, at least six people were hurt when "alleged terrorists" drove into pedestrians before being shot dead by security forces. Police officers help the injured after the van crashed into pedestrians in Las Ramblas Credit: David Armengou/EPA The five attackers in the Audi A3, who were wearing bomb belts, were shot dead, police said. The bomb belts were detonated by the force's bomb squad. Two of the injured in Cambrils were in critical condition, emergency services said. Police say the attacks were linked. Police at the scene in Cambrils where five terrorists were killed Credit: JAUME SELLART/EPA Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) claimed responsibility for the Barcelona attack as Joaquim Forn, Catalonia’s police chief, warned: “Unfortunately the number of fatalities will likely rise.” On Thursday night it was confirmed that a three-year-old child was among the victims and 15 people people were in a critical condition. Police detain a possible suspect after the Barcelona attack Credit: Jason Yu/Twitter Liam Searle, 22, from Chichester, West Sussex, said he was skateboarding along the road at around 5.15pm with his headphones on when he heard “massive bangs and thuds” which he thought were gunshots. “I realised it was the van next to me hitting people.” he said. “The van had stopped right next to me. That’s when two men got out and I ran for my life.” Driss Oukabir, a 28-year-old of Moroccan origin, was suspected of having rented the van used in the assault. Spanish reports later said he had handed himself in to police, who were investigating whether his brother had stolen his documentation. A handout photo made available by Spanish National Police shows Driss Oukabir, alleged to have rented the van which was used to crashed into pedestrians in Las Ramblas Credit: Spanish National Police/ HANDOUT Two explosions at a house in the town of Alcanar, 120 miles south of Barcelona, on Wednesday night were last night linked by police to the attack. Officers said the residents had been preparing explosives. At least one person died and more than 16 were injured in what was initially thought to be a gas explosion. Theresa May, the Prime Minister, condemned the “terrible” Las Ramblas assault and said Britain stood firmly with Spain against terrorism. Pictured: the van reportedly used in the attack Donald Trump, the US president, tweeted that the US “will do whatever is necessary to help”, adding: “Be tough & strong, we love you!.” The Spanish royal family described the attackers as “assassins, criminals who won’t terrorise us”, while Mariano Rajoy, the Spanish prime minister, said the attack was “jihadist terrorism” requiring a global response. Victims of the Barcelona attack Credit: David Armengou/EFE This was the eighth terror attack using a vehicle in Europe in the past three years, following the Nice assault in July 2016 that killed 86 and attacks on Westminster Bridge and London Bridge earlier this year that left four and eight people dead. Earlier this year, jihadists warned that they would be seeking to take their campaign of death and destruction to popular areas in the Mediterranean. Injured people are treated in Barcelona, Spain The CIA warned Spanish police two months ago that Las Ramblas was a potential target, reports said. Stay with us for the latest updates throughout the day. Terror timeline - Ramming attacks involving vehicles
It's up to the residents of the city to change the name of the street named after former Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey, who had a track record of racism.